When its blustery and cold, it’s nice to have a heart warming soup. This recipe uses left over roasted chicken, so it can be made pretty quickly. It can just as easily be made with uncooked chicken but it will need a little longer to cook.
Play around with low starchy veg according to your taste.
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 small carrot finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery finely chopped
- 100g of turnip chopped small
- a large handful of pitted olives
- 1 litre of homemade stock or bone broth
- 1 pepper chopped
- 200g of broccoli
- a handful of sugarsnap peas
- leftover roasted chicken
- 100ml of cream
- A handful of fresh thyme or rosemary
- 50 g of fresh parmesan cheese
- A bay leaf, salt and pepper
- Gently sautee the onion, carrots, celery, turnip and garlic in some fchicken fat (or any stable fat of your choice, not vegetable oil) in a heavy based pot for about 10 minutes
- Add the stock and herbs, bring to the boil and simmer until the veg are soft.
- Remove the herbs and with a stick blender, blend until smooth.
- Now add the olives, pepper, broccoli and sugar snap peas and simmer for a further 5 minutes
- Add the chicken and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir the cream through, season to taste and its ready to serve with some freshly grated parmesan